2010年10月19日 星期二

**Teacher !! May I have a question?

 (This is about my assignment two weeks ago but I still have a question.) 

The original sentence I wrote :

  Once arriving the language school, all of the students had a pre-test and according to their English ability to classify. (後面那一句我是想寫:全部的學生必須根據英語能力檢測的成績而分到適合的班級)

This is rewrite:
        
  Once arriving the language school, all of the students had a pre-test and depended on student’s English ability to place them in a proper class.


  I wonder if the best way to express this. I consulted the Oxford English-English Dictionary and found a word "stream". It says: " to put school students into groups according to their ability. eg: Pupils are streamed for French and Math.  Can I use this word? Like "All students were streamed for a proper class." ?
  I'm glad that I found a word to use but I still confused!

1 則留言:

  1. Hi, Michelle:
    I am sorry that I didn't reply your blog earlier. It seems that in British English 'stream' can mean 'to group students in a particular grade according to their abilities and needs' (Merriam-Webster's Learner's Dictionary). Perhaps it is not quite common in American English.

    I think most Americans will use 'placement test' which is defined as 'a test usually given to a student entering an educational institution to determine specific knowledge or proficiency in various subjects for the purpose of assignment to appropriate courses or classes'(Merriam-Webster's Dictionary).

    Therefore, you may use:
    Once arriving at the language school, all ESL students took a placement test so that we could be properly placed to a class which fitted our English proficiency.

    回覆刪除